- Estimating the Effects of Global Patent Protection in Pharmaceuticals: A Case Study of Quinolones in India, with Shubham Chaudhuri and Penny Goldberg
American Economic Review, 96(5): 1477-1514, December 2006.
Reprinted in "Measuring WTO's Contributions to Global Economic Welfare,' Edited by Kym Andreson.
- What Happens When Wal-Mart Comes to Town: An Empirical Analysis of the Discount Retail Industry, Econometrica, 76(6): 1263-1316, November 2008.
Winner of the Zellner Award for Best Dissertation, American Statistical Association.
Data and Code
- Tracing the Woes: An Empirical Analysis of the Airline Industry, with Steven Berry, American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, 2(3): 1-43, August 2010. Lead article.
- The Impact of Commissions on Home Sales in Greater Boston, with Parag Pathak, American Economic Review, 100(2): 475-479, May 2010.
- Inference for Parameters Defined by Moment Inequalities: A Recommended Moment Selection Procedure, with Donald Andrews, Econometrica, 80(6): 2805-2826, November 2012.
Earlier version: Cowles Foundation Discussion Paper No. 1676R, 2008
- The Cost of Free Entry: An Empirical Analysis of Real Estate Agents in Greater Boston, with Parag Pathak, The RAND Journal of Economics, 46(1): 103-145, January 2015. The top five most cited article published in RAND from 2015-2017. Earlier version: NBER Working Paper No. 17227, 2011.
- Conflicts of Interest and Steering in Residential Brokerage, with Parag Pathak and Maisy Wong, American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 9(3), pp. 191-222, July 2017. Earlier version: NBER Working Paper No. 21489, 2015. Featured in AEA Research Highlights July 2017
- Local Protectionism, Market Structure, and Social Welfare: China's Automobile Market, with Shengmao Cao and Shanjun Li, NBER working paper, 2017. Revise and resubmit at American Economic Journal: Economic Policy
- The Morbidity Cost of Air Pollution: Evidence from Consumer Spending in China, with Shanjun Li, Deyu Rao and Nahim Bin Zahur, NBER working paper, 2018. Reject and resubmit at American Economic Review
- China's Industrial Policy: an Empirical Evaluation, with Myrto Kalouptsidi and Nahim Zahur, Cornell working paper, 2018
- Housing Price and Consumer Spending: Evidence from China, with Shanjun Li, Yuanning Liang and Andrew Waxman, 2018, Revise and resubmit at Journal of Urban Economics
- Information, Mobile Communication Patterns and Social Referrals, with Yanyan Liu, Eleonora Patacchini and Qi Wu
- The Value of Pollution Information: Evidence from China's Recent Air Quality Disclosure, with Eric Zou and Shanjun Li, 2018
- Commercial Casualties: Political Boycotts and International Disputes, with Shanjun Li, Jeremy Wallace, Jessica Chen Weiss, 2018
- Confidence Regions for Parameters in Discrete Games with Multiple Equilibria, with an Application to Discount Chain Store Location, with Donald Andrews and Steven Berry, 2004
Superseded by "Inference for Parameters Defined by Moment Inequalities", Econometrica, 80(6): 2805-2826, November 2012.
- Conflicts of Interest and the Realtor Commission Puzzle, with Parag Pathak and Maisy Wong, NBER Working Paper 21489, 2015
Superseded by "Conflicts of Interest and Steering in Residential Brokerage", American Economic Journal: Applied Economics, 2016.
- Air Pollution, Health Spending and Willingness to Pay for Clean Air in China, with Shanjun Li, Deyu Rao and Nahim Bin Zahur, SSRN working paper
Superseded by "The Morbidity Cost of Air Pollution: Evidence from Consumer Spending in China," NBER Working Paper 24688
Work in Progress
- The Welfare Effects of Passenger Transportation Infrastructure, with Dave Donaldson, Shanjun Li and Yatang Lin, 2018
- Quid Pro Quo, Knowledge Spillovers and Industrial Quality Upgrading, with Jie Bai, Shengmao Cao and Shanjun Li, 2018
- Transportation Policies and Equilibrium Sorting: Evidence from Beijing, with Shanjun Li, Andrew Waxman and Jing Wu
- Dining on the Government's Dime vs. Dining on Your Own Dime, with Hanming Fang and Shanjun Li
- China's Emerging Middle Class: How Do They Spend, with Hanming Fang and Shanjun Li
- Housing Demand and School Choice in Greater Boston, with Parag Pathak and Henry Swift
Other Publications and Non-academic Presentations
- Panelist at Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice public workshop, "What's New in Residential Real Estate Brokerage Competition," June 2018
- The Morbidity Cost of Air Pollution: Evidence from Consumer Spending in China, with Shanjun Li, Deyu Rao and Nahim Zahur, VoxEU, Sep 2018
- Air Pollution, Health Spending and Willingness to Pay for Clean Air, with Shanjun Li, Deyu Rao and Nahim Zahur, VoxChina, Aug 2017